Hey everybuddy! Ernie here. Y’know what day this Friday is? It’s National Hairball Awareness Day! So this week, us Island Cats are joining with the nice peoples from FURminator to spread the word about the dangers of hairballs and how to prevent them.
Here’s a familiar site…most of you have yakked up a few of these yourselves, right? (Humans, don’t look if you get squeamish!)
I think this is your handiwork…right, Wally?
Yep, Ernie. One of my finer creations, I must say. Pretty gross, huh?
Here’s some hairball facts we’d like to share with all of you. Did you know…
- Hairball problems are naturally common in cats because of our self-grooming habits. Our rough tongues are made to clean ourselves thoroughly and, as a result, we swallow a lot of hair.
- Us cats spend 30% of our lives grooming, and up to 2/3 of the hair we shed can be swallowed as we groom.
- Hairballs aren’t just a messy inconvenience, but can be a sign of discomfort and can lead to problems like vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, intestinal obstructions and loss of appetite.
- The most important and effective way to prevent hairballs from forming is frequent grooming to remove the dead undercoat before we can swallow it.
- Traditional hairball treatments like laxative supplements and special diet foods work on the problem after the hair has already entered our bodies. A FURminator deShedding tool PREVENTS hairball problems by preventing the hair from getting into our bodies in the first place.
- Being FURminated for just 10 minutes twice a week gently removes 90% of the loose hair. It’s a safe, effective and non-evasive way to prevent hairballs from forming before they cause serious problems.
That’s some good info, Wally, but enough of the serious stuff. Let’s have some fun! To celebrate National Hairball Awareness Day, we’re having a photo caption contest. Leave in the comments your funniest or cutest caption for this photo.
Whoever submits the winning caption, as selected by the FURminator peoples, will win a FURminator grooming kit filled with several FURminator products including the new Shed Control Cloths. You have until this Thursday at 12:00 noon (Island time) in which to submit your caption. Unfortunately, only those in the U.S. or Canada are eligible for the contest (FURminator peoples’ rules, not ours). Zoey will announce the winner on Friday…National Hairball Awareness Day.
C’mon…get creative! That cat in the middle looks like he has something funny to say, doesn’t he? Let’s see those funny or cute captions! Good luck!
Now for the disclosure: We received some FURminator products for free when we agreed to participate in this National Hairball Awareness Day campaign, but that’s all we received.