Hi! My name’s Walnie and I’m the newest Island Cat around here! Okay…so I’m not a real cat…I’m a FURmination Creation, made out of Wally and Ernie’s furs after about 5 minutes of being groomed with the FURminator!
Did you know today is National Hairball Awareness Day?!? Well, it is! We’re joining with Romeo the Cat and the FURminator people to celebrate and share information on how to prevent hairballs. And the Island Cats are letting me be the spokescat for them!!
Here’s a familiar site…most of you have yakked up a few of these yourselves, right?? (Humans, don’t look if you get squeamish!)
Pretty gross, huh?? Did you know…
- Us cats spend 30% of our lives grooming.
- Up to 2/3 of our shed hair can be ingested as we groom.
- Hairballs aren’t just a messy inconvenience, but can be a sign of discomfort and can lead to problems like vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, intestinal obstructions and loss of appetite.
- And it’s just not long-haired cats that can have hairball problems. Short-haired cats can too. That yucky hairball there? One of Wally’s finer creations.
Now here’s some ways these nasty hairballs can be prevented:
- Regular Gooming. Ask your human to groom you regularly by using a grooming tool like the Furminator, which reduces shedding by nearly 90%.
- Home Remedies. Ask for a little canned pumpkin mixed in with your stinky goodness once or twice a week. The fiber in the pumpkin can help move those hair clogs through your system.
- Stay Hydrated. Make sure you drink lots of water. Water helps flush out the hair before it has time to clump in your stomach.
- A New Menu. There are several specially formulated cat foods that help in the fight against hairballs. You might want to ask your human to get you some. But of course, make sure your human asks your v-e-t before changing your diet drastically.
- Ask Your V-E-T. If you have a chronic hairball problem, have your human ask your v-e-t to recommend a laxative supplement to help prevent ingested hair from forming balls. This stuff can be pretty tasty!!
I hope these tips help you in your fight against hairballs!!
Uh oh!! I think Wally’s gonna make me his new toy!! I gotta go now!! See ya!