Don’t I have cute feet? But y’know…not only are they cute…my paws are quite fascinating…and an engineering marvel.
I thought I’d share some fun and interesting facts about a cat’s paws with you today.
- Us cats walk and run on our tiptoes. This is called digitigrade. It gives us the ability to run with spurts of speed as well as being very quiet when sneaking up on prey.
- Just like humans have a dominant hand, cats have a dominant front paw. Wanna figure out what your cats’s dominate paw is? Give them a challenging task to see what paw they use…or see what paw they use first to grab a wand toy. I’m right paw dominant.
- Our paw pads are soft and act like shock absorbers when we jump or walk on hard surfaces.
- Cats paws are very flexible which helps us maintain our stability when we climb, jump and hunt.
- Our paws are sensitive and contain many nerve receptors. That’s why many of us don’t like our paws touched or messed with. This sensitivity gives us the ability to feel texture, pressure and even vibrations through our paw pads and helps when hunting prey.
- Us cats sweat through our paw pads. It keeps us from overheating on hot days. And when we’re stressed, we sweat through our paw pads, too.
- When we scratch surfaces, our paws emit pheromones from scent glands located in our paws. This marks our territories and lets other cats and animals know more about us.
- Cats paws are our own purrsonal wash cloths. We use our paws to groom and clean ourselves.
Okay…now who wants to play footsie with me??